Union Government constitutes All India Council of Sports as an advisory body
Union Government has constituted All India Council of Sports (AICS), as an advisory body to deliberate on matters relating to the development and promotion of sports in the country.
Government will duly consider the advice rendered by this Council, but it will not be binding and obligatory on the government.
Facts about All India Council of Sports (AICS)
- Composition: It will be headed by a president in the rank of Minister of State (MoS). It will include 4 Members of Parliament (MPs), coaches, experts, sports personalities, administrators and Director General (DG) of Sports Authority of India (SAI).
- Appointments: President and members, other than ex-officio members will be appointed by the Union Government.
- Meeting: It will meet from time to time i.e. at least once in a quarter of year to deliberate on matters related sports and games in the country.
- Functions: Popularize sports amongst the youth and increase its outreach to rural and tribal areas along with North East and Jammu & Kashmir, areas affected by Left Wing Extremism.
- Promote inclusiveness in sports with special focus on women, tribals and differently-abled.
- Prevent fraud of age and sexual harassment of women in sports along with drug abuse.
- Bring transparency, professionalism and good governance in functioning of National Sports Federations (NFS).
- Promote sports sciences and sports medicine and augment the sports infrastructure and ensure its proper utilization.
- Tackle the issues arising malpractices in competitive sports especially match fixing and early identification of sports talent and nurturing the identified talent.
Month: Current Affairs - July, 2015