Union Cabinet gives nod to Pradhan Mantri Krishi Sinchayee Yojana (PMKSY)
Union Cabinet meeting chaired by Narendra Modi approved Pradhan Mantri Krishi Sinchayee Yojana (PMKSY) or PM’s Agriculture Irrigation Scheme.
PMKSY is central scheme that aims at providing irrigation facilities to every village in the country by converging ongoing irrigation schemes implemented by various ministries.
It will focus on ‘end-to-end solution’ in irrigation supply chain by implementing new programme in a “project mode” with decentralised state-level planning and execution.
Pradhan Mantri Krishi Sinchayee Yojana
- Ensure access to some means of protective irrigation to all agricultural farms in the country in order to produce ‘per drop more crop’ to bring desired rural prosperity.
- Flexibility and autonomy: to states in the process of planning and executing irrigation projects in order to ensure water to every farm.
- Irrigation plans: ensure that state and district irrigation plans are prepared on the basis of sources of availability of water and agro-climatic conditions in that region.
- Promoting extension activities: related to ‘on farm water management and crop alignment’ for farmers as well as grass root level field functionaries.
- Agencies involved: nodal agency for implementation of PMKSY projects will be state agriculture department.
- Inter-ministerial National Steering Committee (NSC) will periodically review these projects.
- Budgetary allocation: 1,000 crore rupees for fiscal year 2015-16.
- Funding Pattern: Centre- States will be 75: 25 per cent. In case of north-eastern region and hilly states it will be 90:10.
Month: Current Affairs - July, 2015