Union Cabinet approves Transgender Persons (Protection of Rights) Bill, 2016
The Union Cabinet has approved The Transgender Persons (Protection of Rights) Bill, 2016 to protect transgenders from discrimination.
Through this Bill the Union Government has evolved a holistic mechanism for the social, economic and educational empowerment of marginalized transgenders community.
- The Bill will benefit a large number of transgender persons, mitigate the stigma, discrimination and abuse against them and also bring them into the mainstream of society.
- It will lead to greater inclusiveness and will make the transgender persons productive members of the society.
- The Bill will make all the stakeholders responsive and accountable for upholding the principles underlying the Bill.
- It will bring greater accountability on the part of the Union Government and Slate Governments/UT administrations for issues concerning Transgender persons.
- Transgender community is among one of the most marginalized communities in the country because they don’t fit into the stereotypical categories of gender of ‘men’ or ‘women’.
- They face problems ranging from social exclusion, ostracism and discrimination, as well as verbal, physical and sexual abuse.
- They also lack of access to education and employment opportunities, ending up into organised groups, forced begging or demanding money.
Month: Current Affairs - July, 2016
|View All E-Books: Recent Release|