Union Cabinet approves amendments in Central List of OBCs applicable to Andhra Pradesh and Telangana
The Union Cabinet has given its approval for making suitable amendments in the Central List of OBCs (Other Backward Classes) applicable to Andhra Pradesh and Telangana.
This decision has been taken as per the recommendations of the National Commission for Backward Classes (NCBC).
- The suitable amendments in the Central List of OBCs will be done by inclusion/deletion of castes/communities applicable to Andhra Pradesh and newly formed State of Telangana.
- NCBC has recommended total of 35 changes in respect of Andhra Pradesh and also suggested 86 New Entries in respect of Telangana.
- The changes will enable the persons belonging to these communities in both states to avail the benefits of reservation in Government services as well as in Central Educational Institutions.
- Besides, these communities will also become eligible for benefit under the various welfare schemes, scholarships etc. of the Union Government.
- The Section 9 (Functions of the Commission) of the NCBC Act, 1993 empowers NCBC to examine requests for inclusion of any class of citizens as a backward class in the lists.
- In this regard, NCBC hears complaints of over-inclusion or under-inclusion of any backward class in such lists and tenders such advice to the Union Government.
- The NCBC Act, 1993 also stipulates that the advice of the Commission shall ordinarily be binding upon the Union Government.
- So far based on recommendation of the NCBC a total of 2401 Entries for inclusion, including its synonyms, sub-castes, etc. in the Central List of OBCs have been notified in 24 States and 6 Union Territories.
|View All E-Books: Recent Release|