UNESCO Science Report
Latest edition of UNESCO Science Report (USR) was published on June 11, 2021 which is entitled as “race against time for smarter development”.
- USR is a flagship publication of UNESCO which is published once every five years.
- It is a report on science, technology and innovation (STI).
- Every edition comprises of a chapter on India.
- Chapter on India in latest edition was authored by Prof Sunil Mani, director at Centre for Development Studies, Thiruvananthapuram.
- This chapter provides an overview of STI developments in India along with suggestions and recommendations.
Recommendations and Suggestions
- With respect to initiatives promoting innovation on account of COVID-19, USR suggests to find new ways for finance research projects and to amend existing IP rules to do away compulsory licenses on vaccines and drugs.
- According to report, India has not adopted industry 4.0 technologies and job losses due to automation is not a serious threat now.
- Report highlights, despite some efforts only a few Indian states have made progress on meeting renewable energy targets. USR suggests for incentives to promote use of electric and hybrid vehicles. Report is silent about policies on biofuels or on hydrogen as a source of energy.
- On employment report highlights, job opportunities for science, technology, engineering & medicine (STEM) graduates have not increased. However, employability of STEM graduates has increased to 49% in 2019 from 34% in 2014. It is serious issue because every other graduate is unemployable.
Month: Current Affairs - June, 2021
Category: Reports & Indexes Current Affairs
|View All E-Books: Recent Release|