Twitter India appoints Interim chief compliance officer
Twitter India has appointed an interim chief compliance officer to comply with the new IT rules in India.
- Twitter India will also designate two other executives in accordance with the new IT rules, soon.
- In a court filing earlier recently, central government had said, Twitter do not enjoy liability protection against user-generated content in India now because it has failed to comply with new rules.
- Filing from Indian side came in a case against Twitter by a user who wanted to complain on allegedly defamatory tweets on platform.
- According to centre’s filing, twitter was not complying with new IT rules, which became effective end-May.
- Court filing also maintains that, twitter need to appointment certain new executives.
In reply, Twitter said to fill nodal contact person’s job on interim basis within 2 weeks. It has posted job openings for all three positions. It will try to make an offer of employment to resident Indians within 8 weeks.
India’s new IT rules
Central government had notified Information Technology (Intermediary Guidelines and Digital Media Ethics Code) Rules 2021 in February 2021. It deals with social media and over-the-top (OTT) platforms. These rules were framed under section 87 (2) of Information Technology (IT) Act, 2000. According to new rules, under grievance redressal mechanism resident grievance officer will be appointed and content on social media platforms will be monitored regularly. Further, Social media giants are required to publish monthly compliance reports for Indian users and authorities in India can ask to identify origin of any message. India has implemented new IT rules with the aim of regulating content on social media firms and make them more accountable to legal requests of swift removal of posts.
Month: Current Affairs - July, 2021
|View All E-Books: Recent Release|