Top GKToday’s News Headlines-22 January, 2020
Here are Top GKToday’s News Headlines for January 22, 2020.
- PM Modi, Nepal’s PM K. P. Sharma Oli jointly inaugurate 2nd integrated border check post at Jogbani-Biratnagar; first ICP was built in Raxaul-Birgunj in 2018
- Jharia (Jharkhand) is India’s most polluted city; Lunglei (Mizoram) least polluted: Greenpeace India report on air pollution
- Manipur, Meghalaya and Tripura celebrated their Statehood Day on January 21
- Uttarakhand becomes first state to implement agricultural land leasing policy
- Upgraded ‘Sharang’ artillery guns to be inducted into Army: Gun Carriage Factory, Jabalpur (MP)
- Indian Navy signs MoU with Geological Survey of India (GSI) for sharing of offshore data
- Indian Council for Child Welfare (ICCW) announces winners of National Bravery Awards
ECONOMY & CORPORATE
- PSB appointments: Sanjiv Chadha: MD & CEO in Bank of Baroda; Lingam Venkata Prabhakar: MD and CEO in Canara Bank, Atanu Kumar Das: MD and CEO in Bank of India
- Yudhvir Singh Malik appointed CMD of crisis-hit real estate firm Unitech by the govt.
- ICICI Bank launches cardless cash withdrawal facility from its ATMs using its mobile banking application ‘iMobile’
- India fourth best market after US, China and Germany for global companies looking for growth abroad: PwC CEO survey
- Centre notifies structure of National Startup Advisory Council; to be headed by Commerce & Industry Minster
- India opens its first Mahatma Gandhi Convention Centre in West African nation Niger at capital Niamey
- Australia confers its highest civilian honour, the Order of Australia, on Biocon founder Kiran Mazumdar-Shaw
- Guyana takes over chairmanship of the Group of 77 for 2020
- WEF, partners launch 1t.org to support efforts to grow, conserve 1 trillion trees globally
- Number of people registered as unemployed is expected to rise to 190.5 million in 2020: World Employment and Social Outlook report of ILO
NATION’S CUP WOMEN’S BOXING
- India win 6 medals at 9th Nation’s Cup women’s boxing tournament in Sombor, Serbia
- Silver (4) – M. Meena Kumari (54kg), Monika (48kg), Ritu Grewal (51kg) and Bhagyabati Kachari (75kg)
- Bronze (2): Pavitra (60kg) and Pwilao Basumatary (64kg).
- Wrestler Yogeshwar Dutt and Paralympian Deepa Malik among new inductees in govt.’s All India Council of Sports (AICS)
- Sachin Tendulkar and chess wizard Viswanathan Anand omitted for not being “active” enough
- Formed in 2015, AICS is an advisory body to the Ministry of Youth Affairs and Sports
- Veteran sports administrator V K Malhotra is President of AICS.
- Meyton Cup tournament in Innsbruck, Austria: Indian shooters Divyansh Singh Pawar (men’s 10m air rifle) and Apurvi Chandela (women’s 10m air rifle) win gold medals
Category: Today's News Headlines