Top GKToday’s News Headlines-1 April 2020
Here are Top GKToday’s News Headlines for 1 April, 2020
- ICCR (Indian Council for Cultural Relations) launches global painting competition “United against CORONA- Express through Art” open to both Indians and foreigners; submission deadline: May 1, 2020
- Tourism Ministry launches portal www.strandedinindia.com for foreign tourists who are stranded in the country in the wake of coronavirus lockdown
COVID TWITTER HANDLE
- Ministry of Information and Broadcasting launches dedicated Twitter handle for sharing news and updates on novel coronavirus
- The account is named #IndiaFightsCorona and uses the handle @CovidnewsbyMIB.
SAVINGS RATES FOR Q1 of 2020-21
- Govt. lowers interest rates on various small savings schemes for the first quarter 2020-21
- Rate of interest for Sukanya Samriddhi Account Scheme it has been reduced from 8.4 to 7.6%.
- Interest rate for Public Provident Fund reduced from 7.9 to 7.1%
- Interest rate for National Savings Certificate 7.9 to 6.8%.
- Interest rate for Kisan Vikas Patra reduced from 7.6% to 6.9%.
- The KVP will mature in 124 months instead of 113 months earlier.
- Rate of interest for the Senior Citizen Savings Scheme reduced to 7.4 from 8.6%
- Rate of interest for the monthly income scheme lowered to 6.6% from 7.6%
- For five-year recurring deposit, the interest has been reduced from 7.2 to 5.8%.
- For five-year time-deposit, it has been brought down from 7.7% to 6.7%
- For three-years, two-years and one-year time deposits, the interest rate has been cut from 6.9 to 5.5%
- Interest on savings deposit stays unchanged at 4%.
ECONOMY & CORPORATE
- 30-share BSE Sensex ends 1,028.17 points or 3.62% higher at 29,468.49
- 50-share NSE Nifty rose 316.65 points, or 3.82%, to close at 8,597.75
- RBI asks private sector and foreign banks to intimate it 6 months in advance in cases of re-appointment of MD & CEO as against the present practice of 4 months
- Eight core sector industries record 5.5% growth in February, highest in 11-months
- Vehicle documents expired since Feb 1 should be treated as valid till June 30: Ministry of Road Transport and Highways
- Covid-19: Finance Minister Nirmala Sitharaman participates in 2nd Extraordinary G20 Finance Ministers and Central Bank Governors (FMCBG) meeting under the Saudi Arabian Presidency through videoconferencing
- UN Security Council unanimously adopts resolution on the safety and security of peacekeepers
- East Asia and the Pacific could see up to 11 million people driven into poverty: World Bank warns in its report titled “East Asia and Pacific in the Time of Covid-19”
Category: Today's News Headlines