Tax Holiday for Startups extended to startups with turnover upto INR 25 crore
In a clarification issued by the Central Board of Direct taxes, a tax holiday has been extended to only those startups with a turnover of INR 25 crore.?
What has happened?
- Startups in India have the potential to provide a large number of jobs to the youths and also improve the nation’s technological edge in crucial areas like digital electronics, artificial intelligence, and Internet of things, among others.
- To encourage startups, the Indian Government had decided to provide a tax holiday to all small startups in the country.
- As per the government, all startups under Section 80 IAC of the Income Tax Act were allowed 100% deduction of income for 3 out of 7 years from the year of the startup’s incorporation.
- As the definition by the Department of Promotion of Industry and Internal Trade (DPIIT), a small startup had been defined as a startup having a turnover less than Rs 100 crore.?
- However, the CBDT, which is responsible for collecting taxes has disagreed with the DPIIT’s view and claims that since the scheme is meant to support a small startup, a turnover limit of up to 25 crores is justified.
- The CBDT claims that mere recognization by the DPIIT of a small startup of what fulfills the conditions specified in the DPIIT notification do not automatically become eligible for the tax deduction under Section 80-IAC of the Act.
Startup India Seed Fund Scheme
The Union Minister for Commerce and Industry recently launched the “Start Up India Seed Fund” sc...
HDFC Bank SmartUp Grants to 21 Social Sector Start Ups
The HDFC Bank recently announced the winners of the SmartUp Grants, 2021. This is the fourth edition...
OECD interim ‘Economic Outlook’
The Organisation for Economic Co-operation and Development (OECD) published its interim Economic Out...
Regulatory Compliance Portal lunched by DPIIT
The Department for Promotion of Industry and Internal Trade (DPIIT) recently launched a regulatory c...
Prarambh: Startup India International Summit
The Prime Minister Narendra Modi is to interact with the startups and address Startup India Internat...
Category: Government Schemes Current Affairs
|View All E-Books: Recent Release|