Swachh Survekshan Grameen 2019
India has launched the nation’s largest rural sanitation survey to ensure and ascertain if India’s goal to meet the Open defecation Free target is being achieved by October 2, 2019.
October 2 is the birthday of Mahatma Gandhi, the father of the nation.?
What is the survey?
- The survey, aptly named Swachh Survekshan Grameen 2019, will cover over 7450 villages in the 698 districts all over India.
- It will include 87250 public places like schools, Anganwadi centers, public health centers, haat/bazaars/religious places like temples & mosques to cover an unprecedented amount of ground to make this India?s largest rural sanitation survey.
- Over 2,50,000 citizens will be interviewed to obtain their feedback for this survey.
- A few citizens will also be mobilized to give accurate feedback on the various sanitation relation related issues on the internet using a custom-built application.
- Currently, over 5.8 lakh villages, 639 districts, and 32 States/UTs have been declared Open Defecation Free (ODF) in rural India.
- This leaves a very insignificant % of the country’s landmass witnessing out of house defecation and the country is well within its grasp to become Open Defecation Free India by October 2, 2019.
What does the government say?
The Government has lauded the Swachh Bharat Mission for its role in enforcing the biggest behavior change in the world. It believes that with the SSG 2019, the Mission will evolve to another level and will be able to focus on solid-liquid and plastic waste management.