Surviving Ebola and after
Ebola virus which has engulfed 5 West-African nations- Liberia, Guinea, Sierra Leone, Nigeria and Senegal has infected about 3,069 people in West Africa. There are patients who have survived the deadly virus. The drug ZMapp has been able to give positive results in dealing with the virus as it has saved lives of 2 more medical workers in Liberia after successfully treating two American missionaries Dr. Kent Brantly and Nancy Writebol were flown from Liberia to Atlanta’s Emory University Hospital separately. The two survived the deadly attack and walked out free after their systems provenly showed no more signs of any virus.
Likewise, Dr. Senga Omeonga and physician assistant Kynda Kobbah were discharged after fighting Ebola. Although ZMapp has not been approved treatment for Ebola yet its success has shown hope to the ones infected and their families.
Concerns that stay:
Here are some notable findings about all Ebola survivors:
• Survivors have to test negative for two consecutive blood tests to lead a normal life without any kind of isolation.
• The vaginal fluids or semen of survivors can be carrying the virus which can be spread. Thus, the patients need to exercise considerable restrain to get into the routine life for a few months.
• Surviving Ebola gives rise to anti-Ebola antibodies in the body which give immunity to any future infection against all strains. This theory still has to be clinically tested.
• ZMapp has been till date the only drug which has shown positive results for fighting Ebola. The treated persons have shown remarkable results. It is produced by Mapp Biopharmaceuticals Inc., based at San Diego. Mapp has been working with NIH and US Defence Threat Reduction Agency-which specializes in research to combat any biological weapons.
• ZMapp which has been produced by the mice antibodies so far, can also be produced by proteins from tobacco plants. But, there are ethical concerns in giving drugs to humans which haven’t been tested. However, WHO has overcome the latter stating the extent of spread of outbreak warrants unprecedented steps as giving life-saving drug to infected people.