Survey of India files complaint Google's Mapathon 2013
Survey of India has filed a complaint with the Delhi Police against search engine Google and raised security concerns after the Google conducted ‘Mapathon’.
Mapathon 2013 was a contest from Feb 12, 2013 – Mar 25, 2013 in which Google asked users to add information about their local areas for its online map services.
Survey of India held that the contest was likely to threaten national security interest and violate the National Map Policy.
Google Map Maker was launched in India in 2008 with the goal of making more information accessible to all, sufficient high-quality mapping data to be published and used on the existing Google Maps service. It allows people to add information about their local area and thus share and collaborate on improving the maps.
’Mapathon 2013’, from Feb 12, 2013 – Mar 25, 2013, was a contest encouraging Indians to use Google’s ‘Map Maker’ service.
Survey of India
- Set up in 1767, Survey of India, The National Survey and Mapping Organization of the country.
- Under the Department of Science & Technology.
- It is the Oldest Scientific Department of Govt. of India.
- It was set up in 1767 to help consolidate the territories of the British East India Company.
- Its members are from Survey of India Service cadre of Civil Services of India.