Surakshit Matritva Aashwasan launched
SUMAN scheme – Surakshit Matritva Aashwasan scheme was launched by the Union Minister Dr Harsha Vardhan at the conference of Central Council of Health and Family Welfare. The scheme provides free medicines for pregnant women. It focuses to bring down the Maternal Mortality Rate (MMR) and Infant Mortality Rate (IMR) in the country.
- Under the scheme the mother up to 6 months after delivery and the sick new born will be able to avail free health care benefits
- All the beneficiaries visiting the health care under the scheme are entitled to free services. It includes
- At least four ante – natal check up
- One check up during the 1st trimester
- One check up under Pradhan Mantri Surakshit Matritva Abhiyan
- Iron Folic acid supplementation
- Tetanus Diphtheria injection
- Six home based new born care visits
- Free transport will be provided from home to the health institutions by GoI.
- Referral services are to be offered under the scheme with the scope of reaching the health facilities within an hour of critical emergencies
- Zero expenses for C – section facilities in case of complications during pregnancy.
India’s maternal mortality rate has declined from 254 per 1 lakh births in 2004 – 06 to 130 per 1 lakh births in 2014 – 16. The IMR has come down as well. It was 66 per 1,000 live births in 2001 and is now 34 in 2016.
Category: Government Schemes Current Affairs