Supreme Court sets up 'Social Justice Bench' to deal with social issues
Supreme Court has set up a special ‘Social Justice Bench’ in order to exclusively hear cases concerning social issues particularly those related to women, children and underprivileged sections of society. The main intention of setting up ‘Social Justice Bench’ is to provide specialised approach which needed for dealing with these cases.
The special bench will comprise justices Madan B Lokur and U U Lalit and from 12th December the bench which will assemble every Friday at 2 PM.
This bench will ensure early disposal of such cases and to bring fruits of the rights provided under the Constitution to people.
It will deal specially with the matters relating to society and its members, to secure social justice, one of the ideals of the Indian Constitution.
Under the domain of social justice, several cases highlighting social issues are included. They are
- Release of surplus food grains lying in stocks for the use of people living in the drought-affected areas to frame a fresh scheme for public distribution of food grains.
- To take steps to prevent untimely death of women and children for want of nutritious food.
- Providing hygienic meal besides issues relating to children to provide night shelter to destitute and homeless.
- To provide medical facilities to all the citizens irrespective of their economic condition.
- To provide hygienic drinking water.
- To provide safety and secure living condition for the fair gender who are forced into prostitution etc.
Thus, by setting up the ‘Social Justice Bench’ SC is trying to play a proactive role in order to meet the goals of the Constitution by providing social justice to everyone.