Study: Life expectancy in India drops by 2 years due to Covid
According to the scientists from a city-based International Institute for Population Studies (IIPS), Covid-19 pandemic has affected the lives of people across the world.
- As per scientists, in India, covid-19 pandemic has resulted a drop in life expectancy by almost two years.
- Report points out a drop in life expectancy at birth in men as well as women.
- In the year 2019, life expectancy at birth was 69.5 years for men while 72 years for women. This is decreased to 67.5 years for men and 69.8 years for women in the year 2020.
- The study also included a factor term called ‘length of life inequality’.
- As per study, Covid-19 claimed maximum lives of men among the people aged 39-69.
- In the year 2020, the age group 35-79 observed excess deaths due to covid-19 as compared to normal year.
How is life expectancy calculated?
The life expectancy at birth is calculated based on the average number of years a new-born is expected to live in case mortality patterns at the time of the birth of infant remain constant in future.
Effect of epidemic on life expectancy
According to the IIPS director, Dr KS James, every time there is some epidemic, the life expectancy at birth figures changes. For instance, following a HIV-AIDS epidemic in African nations, the life expectancy had decreased, and once epidemic was brought under control, life expectancy recouped.
|View All E-Books: Recent Release|