Steel Import Monitoring System Launched
The Ministry of Commerce and Industries has launched a steel import monitoring system (SIMS) to provide advance information about steel imports.
Steel Import Monitoring System
- The system has been developed by the Ministry of Commerce and Industries in consultation with the Ministry of Steel on the pattern of US Steel Import Monitoring and Analysis (SIMA) system.
- Importers of specified steel products are required to register in advance on the web portal of SIMS providing the necessary information.
- The registration process will be online and completely automatic with no human intervention.
- The importers are required to register not earlier than 60th day and not later than 15th day before the expected date of arrival of import consignment.
- The automatic registration number granted will remain valid for 75 days.
- The information provided by importers on the SIMS will be monitored by the Ministry of Steel.
- The importers are required to submit advance information in an online system for import of 284 steel tariff lines at 8-digit HS code in order to obtain an automatic registration number by paying a prescribed registration fee.
The portal will provide data about steel imports to various stakeholders including producers and importers. This will aid in designing effective policy interventions.
|View All E-Books: Recent Release|