Srinagar joins UNESCO Creative Cities Network 2021
On November 8, 2021, Srinagar has joined the UNESCO’s network of creative cities.
- Prime Minister Narendra Modi hailed the inclusion of Srinagar as a fitting recognition for vibrant cultural ethos of this old city.
- UNESCO has designated Srinagar as a creative city of craft and folk arts.
Which cities have joined this network?
49 new cities worldwide have joined the UNESCO Creative Cities Network (UCCN). These cities were included in the list in recognition of their commitment of placing culture & creativity at the heart of their development as well as for sharing knowledge & good practices.
Which Indian cities are there in the UNESCO’s network?
- Chennai and Varanasi are included in UNESCO Cities of music.
- Jaipur is included in UNESCO city of crafts and folk arts.
- Mumbai is included in UNESCO city of film.
- Hyderabad is included in UNESCO City of gastronomy.
Total number of cities in the network
With the inclusion of 49 new cities this year, total numbers of cities in this network stands at 295 from across 90 countries. These cities have been included to the list as they invest in culture & creativity like crafts & folk art, film, design, literature, gastronomy, music and media arts, in order to advance sustainable urban development.
Significance of inclusion in UCCN
By joining UCCN, cities commit for sharing their best practices and developing partnerships among public sectors, private sectors and civil society for strengthening the creation, production and distribution of cultural activities, goods & services. Cities also pledge for developing hubs of creativity & innovation.
|View All E-Books: Recent Release|