Sports: Durand Cup Football: Churchill brothers Win
Churchill Brothers won the 124th Durand Cup Football Tournament beating Prayag United in the Finals played at New Delhi.
Fact Sheet: Durand Cup
- The Durand Football Tournament was started at Shimla in the year 1888 by Sir Henry Mortimer Durand, who was then, the Foreign Secretary to Govt of India. He is also known for the Durand Line J
- Durand is the third oldest football tournament in the world and oldest in Asia and India. The original tournament committee had the Political Secy as ex-officio President and the local military officer as Hony Secy.
- Their Excellencies the Viceroy and Commander-in-Chief were the Patron-in-Chief and Vice Patron-in-Chief respectively. The initial matches were played in Dagshai. It was basically initiated, as a recreation for British troops stationed in India. The Durand Cup was twice suspended, during the two world wars. In 1940 the venue was shifted to New Delhi.
- The Royal Scots Fusiliers won the inaugural Durand cup in 1888 at Simla, when they defeated the Highland Light Infantry with a score of 2-1.
- Since India’s independence in 1947, the tournament is hosted by the army and is held at the Ambedkar Stadium in Delhi.
- Mohun Bagan AC and East Bengal Club with 18 titles each are the most successful clubs
- Current Champion: Churchill Brothers SC