SIMBEX-2019: scheduled from 16 May to 22 May 2019
After the completion of naval exercise IMDEX-19 recetly, the Kolkata Class Destroyers Indian Naval ships namely INS Kolkata and INS Shakti are participating in SIMBEX-2019.
- About: SIMBEX (Singapore India Maritime Bilateral Exercise) is an annual bilateral naval exercise between India and Singapore. It is being held from 16 May to 22 May 2019.
- Background: SIMBEX was first initiated in 1993, since then it has become an annual affair. Over the years it has grown in operational and tactical complexity as well as from traditional anti-submarine exercises to more complex maritime exercises. It undertakes anti air or anti surface practice firings, air defence operations, advanced tactical exercises, etc. It has stood test of time in demonstrating commitment between India and Singapore in enhancing maritime cooperation between their navies and bolstering bonds of friendship between the two countries.
- Objective: To aim to enhance interoperability, strengthen mutual trust, and build greater synergy to address common maritime concerns among both navies.
- For SIMBEX 2019, the Indian Navy has deployed its finest assets Kolkata Class Destroyers (INS Kolkata and INS Shakti).
- Objective: to extend bridges of friendship through maritime, economic, and cultural interactions with countries of east and south-east Asia (SEA).
- It will be conducted in Two Phases:
- Harbour Phase– will be conducted from 16 to 18 May. It included various planning conferences, deck reception, courtesy calls to dignitaries of RS Navy, simulator based warfare training (war-gaming) and sporting events all onboard INS Kolkata.
- Sea Phase– is scheduled from 19 to 22 may 19. It will be conducted in the South China Sea (SCS). It will include various maritime combat exercises like advanced aerial tracking, firing on aerial or surface targets, tactical exercises on surface or air scenarios and coordinated targeting exercises.
- Participation: Along with INS Shakti and INS Kolkata, Poseidon-8I (P8I) (Indian long range maritime patrol aircraft) will also participate. From Singapore side, Royal Singapore Navy (RSN) Ships RSN Steadfast and RSN Valiant, Fokker-50 (F-50) (maritime patrol aircraft) and F-16 fighter aircraft will participate.
- Significance: SIMBEX-19 will also conclude two month long deployment of INS Kolkata and INS Shakti in South and East China Seas where they recently participated in International Fleet Review (IFR) at Qingdao, China (as part of PLA (Navy) 70th anniversary celebrations) and in ADMM-plus MS FTX (The ASEAN Defense Ministers’ Meeting – Plus Maritime Security Field Training Exercise).
Month: Current Affairs - May, 2019
Category: Defence Current Affairs
Topics: ADMM-PLUS MS FTX • Fokker-50 (F-50) • IMDEX-19 • INS Kolkata • INS Shakti • International Fleet Review • Kolkata Class Destroyers • Poseidon-8I (P8I) • RSN Steadfast • RSN Valiant • SIMBEX-19 • Singapore India Maritime Bilateral Exercise • South-East Asia