Short Note – Indian Victory over US at WTO
A World Trade Organization (WTO) dispute resolution panel has granted India a victory in a 3-year-old case against the United States over restrictive trade practices. India has approached the WTO in September 2016 as it found that the American Domestic Content Requirements (DCRs) and the state-sponsored subsidies provided by 8 American states constituted unfair trade practices.
Want is the issue?
- America had domestic content requirements in equipment used for generating renewable energy. This reduced competitiveness of Indian firms in American market.
- State subsidies provided by eight states in the renewable energy sector violated certain provisions of the General Agreement on Tariffs and Trade (GATT).
Want is the verdict?
- The WTO dispute resolution panel has concluded its ruling that US has nullified or denied benefits which were rightfully India s as per the GATT.
- The steps taken by the US are inconsistent with the established norms of the GATT.
- This verdict will allow Indian companies to enter American Markets more aggressively while US will be forced to remove unfair advantages which are accrued to its domestic companies.
What is the WTO?
The World Trade Organization (WTO) is an international organization which regulates trade between nations. The WTO agreements are negotiated and signed by the most of the participating nations and ratified in their parliaments. It aims to allow for concluding trade smoothly and fairly between nations.
IEA: Renewable Energy Market Update
The International Energy Agency recently released the “2021 Renewable Energy Market Update”. The...
PESCO: EU approves US participation for the first time
The European Union recently approved the requests of Norway, Canada and United States to participate...
UK to build World’s most powerful climate-change forecasting supercomputer
Met Office and Microsoft are to build a weather forecasting supercomputer in the UK. The UK Governme...
International Climate Finance Plan of the US
The US President recently announced the country’s new Finance Plan at the Leader’s Summit on Cli...
Global Energy Transition Index
The World Economic Forum recently released the Global Energy Transition Index. The index was prepare...
|View All E-Books: Recent Release|