Short Note : Advanced Towed Artillery Gun System (ATAGS)
The advanced towed artillery gun system (ATAGS) is a 155mm, 52 calibre gun that is being developed by the Defence Research and Development Organisation (DRDO) in two separate collaborations with Tata Power’s Strategic Engineering Division and the Bharat Forge.
After successful initial trials of the four guns (2 each from each company), new production orders for user trails are planned.
Why the ATAGS is special?
- The indigenously made gun has several significant advancements over the previous generation of guns used by the Indian Army like an all-electric drive, high mobility, quick deployability, auxiliary power mode, advanced communications system, automated command and control system.
- The ATAGS has broken the world record for 155 mm gun by firing the round to a distance of 47.2 kilometers.
- The ATAGS has a six-round magazine instead of the standard three-round magazine.
- The requires a larger chamber and is a major factor pushing up the overall weight of the system.
- The ATAGS guns currently weigh about 18 tonnes but the Indian Army wants it to be reduced to 14-15 tonnes.
- It was first publicly shown at 68th Republic Day parade on 26 January 2017.
The Defence Acquisition Council has approved the procurement of 150 ATAGS with an estimated cost of Rs. 3,364.78 crore (US$490 million). This order will be divided into two companies as per their tender costs with one company bidding a lower cost building double the number of guns than the higher bidder.
Category: Defence Current Affairs
|View All E-Books: Recent Release|