Shipping Ministry Announces 50 Lakh INR Compensation for Port Workers
The Union Ministry of Shipping announced a monetary compensation of 50 lakh INR for workers of major ports in case of death due to COVID-19.
About the Initiative
The Union Ministry of Shipping directed the major ports in India to provide monetary compensation to its workers in case of death due to COVID-19. This 50 lakh INR monetary compensation was announced in light of the need to continue essential services despite the increasing number of COVID-19 deaths in India.
The monetary compensation is applicable to port employees and workers- even those working on a contractual basis in the major ports of India. The compensation will be given to the legal heir or the dependent members in case of the worker dying due to COVID-19. The compensation scheme is to be in force till the end of September.
Major Ports in India
There are 12 major ports in India:
- Deendayal Port Trust in Gujarat
- Paradip Port Trust in Odisha
- Jawaharlal Nehru Port Trust and Mumbai Port Trust in Maharashtra
- Visakhapatnam Port Trust in Andhra Pradesh
- Syama Prasad Mukherjee Port Trust in West Bengal
- Chennai Port Trust, Kamarajar Port Ltd and VOC Port Trust in Tamil Nadu
- New Mangaluru Port Trust in Karnataka
- Kochi Port Trust in Kerala
- Mormugao Port Trust in Goa