#SelfiewithSapling campaign: launched by Environment Minister
On the eve of World Environment Day, Union Environment Minister, Shri Prakash Javadekar launched a people’s campaign called #SelfiewithSapling, urging people to advocate the cause on social media.
Key Highlights about Campaign
- Union Environment Minister, Shri Prakash Javadekar urged all people to join the campaign and plant a sapling and post selfie with the planted sapling on social media.
- He also stressed that ‘Jan Bhagidari’ (means Peoples Participation) is integral towards tackling environmental issues and environment protection has to be a people’s movement for achieving success in domain.
- He also informed that on occasion of World Environment Day (celebrated on 5 June) he along with Kapil Dev (renowned cricketer) and Jackie Shroff (bollywood actor) will plant sapling in premises of Paryavaran Bhawan (India’s first on site net zero building) in New Delhi.
- Significance: Such initiatives are needed so as to create a carbon sink. Also environmental concerns cannot be addressed solely by government and has to be a people’s programme.
- Hawa Aane De: Recently, the Environment ministry released a music video for World Environment Day 2019′s theme of “Air Pollution”, song is titled “Hawa Aane De”.
- NCAP: In January 2019, National Clean Air Programme (NCAP) was launched by Centre government with aim to reduce air pollution by 2024. According to environment ministry, the committee formed under NCAP has drawn up an action plan for 84 of 102 non-attainment cities, i.e. cities that do not meet the National Air Quality Standard (NAQS) identified under programme.
Month: Current Affairs - June, 2019
Category: Environment Current Affairs
Topics: Carbon Sink • Hawa Aane De Song • Jan Bhagidari • Ministry of Environment, Forest and Climate Change • NAQS • National Air Quality Standard • National Clean Air Programme • NCAP • Shri Prakash Javadekar • Union Environment Minister • World Environment Day • World Environment Day 2019