Scientists use 'pregnancy fluid' to strengthen weak bones
UK-based researchers have found that stem cells harvested from pregnant woman’s amniotic fluid can be used to strengthen weak bones.
Amniotic fluid is the protective fluid that surrounds baby in the uterus and helps it to develop inside the mother’s womb. It also contains stem cells that are the building blocks of other tissues.
- Bones are constantly formed in body with cells called osteoclasts which break down old bone and form new bones.
- However, incase due to brittle bone disease, osteoporosis process becomes lazy leading to fracture bones.
- The researchers collected the amniotic stem cells from material left over from screening tests during pregnancy.
- Then they injected these cells into diseased mice having fractured bones due to brittle bone disease (a genetic disorder that results in fragile bones that break easily).
- It was found that mice injected with these cells have 78% fewer fractures. Thus, the amniotic stem cells can be used to improve strength, plasticity, and structure of bones.
- Potential Application: This discovery can help treat astronauts who lose bone mass in space. It is said that astronauts can lose 2.5% of their bone density for every month in space. It can also help babies with genetic diseases and elderly people.
What is Vigyan Yatra?
Vigyan yatra is a promotional activity to promote scientific temper. It is being carried out as a pa...
November 10: World Science Day for Peace and Development
Every year, the World Science Day for Peace and Development is celebrated to ensure that citizens ar...
Ministry of Science and Technology launches SERB-POWER
On October 29, 2020, the Minister of Science and Technology Dr Harsh Vardhan launched the SERB-POWER...
New organ in throat discovered
The scientists in Netherlands have discovered a new organ in human throat during a research on prost...
Scientists develop “Catch and Kill” air filter that kills COVID-19
The scientists at the University of Houston have developed “Catch and Kill” air filter. The filt...
|View All E-Books: Recent Release|