Sabarimala Master Plan
The Sabarimala Master Plan is aimed at easing the pilgrimage experience for the devotees who undertake a daunting journey through forests lacking basic amenities.
Features of the Plan
A Comprehensive Sabarimala Master Plan has been prepared with the objectives of planned overall development of:
- Sannidhanam area, the abode of Lord Ayyappa on the mountain top.
- Pampa ”the river front and the Pampa area.
- Trekking paths to the hill top.
- Development of base camp facilities at Nilakkal.
- Development of feeder towns/places like Erumeli, Pathanamthitta, Vandiperiyar etc.
- The approach roads to Sabarimala
The Master Plan envisages:
- Infrastructure Development
- Ecological Sustainability
- Pilgrim facilities
The annual Mandalam-Makaravilakku pilgrim season is due to begin in mid-November. With the monsoon in the offing, carrying out construction work will be difficult task in the forest terrain of Sabarimala and Pampa for at least next few months. Hence the promise to provide more toilet and retiring facility in an eco-friendly manner at Sabarimala and Pampa is most likely to remain on paper at least for the upcoming Mandalam-Makaravilakku pilgrim season.