First SAARC Youth Parliamentarians Conference begins in Islamabad
The first South Asian Association for Regional Cooperation (SAARC) Youth Parliamentarians Conference on `Peace and Harmony for Development’ was held in Islamabad, Pakistan.
The two-day (from August 16 to 18, 2016) intends to offer young Parliamentarians’ narrative as a prelude to the 19th SAARC Summit to be hosted by Pakistan in November 2016.
- 8 parliamentary delegates from 8 SAARC member countries are participating in the conference. Lok Sabha MP Kalikesh Narayan Singh Deo, is leading the three member Indian delegation.
- The conference was hosted by the Pakistan National Assembly and was inaugurated by National Assembly Speaker Ayaz Sadiq.
- The goal of the conference is to build bridges between the future leaders of South Asia on a platform that supports continued engagement and cooperation.
- It is dialogue among Young Parliamentarians of SAARC region to create democratic space to meet expanding expectations of burgeoning youth population in region.
- It seeks to provide an opportunity for the youth and Parliamentarians to apprise respective Government leaders on where the youth of South Asia stands on a vision for the region ahead of the High Level Summit.
- Besides, it also seeks to set the foundation of strong inter-parliamentary linkages between parliamentarians from across South Asia.
- The linkages will be to setup a network that can nurture regional interaction, support democratic norms and build a coalition for sustained dialogue and peaceful cooperation.
|View All E-Books: Recent Release|