Rs 15,000 crores approved by Union Cabinet for COVID-19
On April 22, 2020, the Union Cabinet approved Rs 15,000 crores towards “India COVID-19 Emergency Response and Health System Preparedness Challenge”. The funds are to be utilised in 3 phases.
For an immediate response Rs 7,774 crore has been sanctioned. The rest of the funds are to be utilised as medium-term support in 1 to 4 years. The main aim of the funds is to slow down the spread of COVID-19 in India.
Objectives of the fund
The main objectives of the fund are as follows
- To develop COVID-19 dedicated treatment facilities
- To develop COVID-19 dedicated Diagnostics
- To procure essential medical equipment to treat COVID-19 patients
- To procure drugs to treat the disease
- To prepare for future disease outbreaks
- To set up laboratories
- To improve surveillance activities
- To increase bio-security preparedness
- To encourage more COVID-19 research
All the above initiatives are to be implemented under Ministry of Health and Family Welfare.
Category: India Nation & States Current Affairs