Roger Federer clinches Wimbledon Open Title 2012
Swiss Tennis star Roger Federer defeated British player Andy Murray to win the Wimbledon Open Championship 2012 in London on. With this win Federer reclaimed the world No. 1 rank breaking Pete Sampras’ record of 286 weeks at the pinnacle of the game.
- If we include this title then Federer now keeps 17 Grand Slam.
- He had clinched earlier Wimbledon titles on 6 different occasions.
- William Renshaw’s and Pete Sampras are the only players who have won the prestigious Wimbledon singles title on 7 occasions.
Highlights of Wimbledon 2012
- Serena Williams of US conquered Ladies’ singles title by beating Agnieszka Radwanska of Poland.
- In mixed doubles Mike Bryan and Lisa Raymond beat the pair of Leander Paes and Elena Vesnina to lift the Mixed Doubles final.
- Jonathan Marray and Frederick Nielson won Men’s doubles by defeating Robert Lindstedt.
- The pair of Serena Williams and Venus Williams won Ladies’ doubles title as they defeated Andrea Hlavackova and Lucie Hradecka.
A brief on Wimbledon
- Wimbledon is one of the oldest and most coveted sporting events in the world.
- It has been held at the All England Club in Wimbledon, London since 1877.
- It is played on a grass court
- There are 4 major grand slams in the world: Wimbledon, Australian Open, French Open and US Open.
Month: Current Affairs - July, 2012
Topics: Elena Vesnina • Grand Slam • Leander Paes • Roger Federer • Serena Williams • Summer Olympic Games • Tennis • Tennis players • The Championships, Wimbledon • Venus Williams • Wimbledon Championships