Road Transport Ministry’s scheme for ‘Good Samaritans’
Ministry of road, transport & highways launched a scheme for “Good Samaritans” on October 4, 2021.
- Scheme will be effective from October 15, 2021 and will run till March 31, 2026.
- Under the scheme, a cash award of Rs 5,000 will be provided per accident, to those saving the life of a road accident victim by rushing the person to hospital within the ‘golden hour’ of the accident.
- Cash award will be provided to motivate the general public in order to help the road accident victims in emergency situation.
- Cash award will also be accompanied with a certification of appreciation.
National Level Awards
- Besides award in each case, ministry would also be giving 10 national level awards for the “worthiest Good Samaritans”.
- Most Worthy Good Samaritans will be selected from those who have been awarded during the entire year.
- They will be given an award of Rs 1,00,000 each.
- MoRTH will provide Rs 5 lakh of initial grant to the transport department of states and UTs for awarding the cash prize.
- As per amendment, if Good Samaritan informs about the incident to the police at the first hand, then police will provide an acknowledgement on official letter pad, after verifying details from doctor.
- Individual Good Samaritan will be awarded a maximum five times in a year.
What is golden hour?
‘Golden hour’ is the 1-hour time period after a traumatic injury. During this period, there is the highest possibilities of preventing death by providing prompt medical care.
Motor Vehicle Amendment Act, 2019
Rules had been notified under Section 134A of the Motor Vehicle Amendment Act 2019, on September 29, 2020 by the ministry.
|View All E-Books: Recent Release|