Retd. Justice Madan Lokur Appointed Judge of Supreme Court of Fiji
The Retired judge of Indian Supreme Court Justice Madan B Lokur has been appointed to the Supreme Court of Fiji.
About The Appointment
- Justice Lokur is appointed as a judge of Supreme Court of Fiji’s non-resident panel. He will assume charge of his new role on 15 August 2019.
- Tenure: He has been appointed in new role for a period of three years.
- Background: On December 31 2018, Justice Lokur demitted the office as a Supreme Court justice after his superannuation. It is likely that Justice Lokur received the offer from Chief Justice of the Fiji Supreme Court on the day of his retirement itself.
- The Supreme Court of Fiji
- In one year it has three sessions in total. Justice Lokur will attend August session which starts from August 15 to August 30, 2019.
- Other countries that have been invited by Fiji over the years are South Africa, Sri Lanka, Australia, Malaysia, Singapore and New Zealand.
About Justice Madan Lokur
- In July 1977, he enrolled as an advocate and practised in High Court of Delhi and the Supreme Court.
- In 1981, he became an Advocate-on-Record in Supreme Court.
- In 1998 he was appointed as Additional Solicitor General and continued in that post till February 1999 when he was appointed an Additional Judge of Delhi High Court (HC).
- In July 1999, he was made a permanent judge. Later he served as Chief Justice of Gauhati High Court and then Andhra Pradesh High Court before being elevated to SC.
- He was appointed as judge of Supreme Court of India on 4 June 2012. He retired as Supreme Court judge on 31 December 2018, after a terme of more than 6 years.
Supreme Court’s Suggestion on saving Great Indian Bustard
The Supreme Court of India has given its suggestion in the behalf of the critically endangered Great...
Is ‘Disaster Management Act’ related to Extension of Loan Moratorium?
The Supreme Court of India asked the central government to clarify its position on the issue of inte...
SC rules ‘Daughters have equal heirship rights in joint Hindu family property’
The Supreme Court has ruled that the daughters in the Hindu families have equal coparcenary rights i...
K K Venugopal appointed as Attorney General of India
On June 30, 2020, K K Venugopal was re-appointed as Attorney General of India. He has been appointed...
Supreme Court rejects Curative Petitions filed over Nirbhaya Case: What are Curative Petitions?
On March 16, 2020, the Supreme Court of India rejected the curative petitions filed over Nirbhaya ca...
Month: Current Affairs - May, 2019
Category: Awards, Persons & Places in News
|View All E-Books: Recent Release|