Recipients of Pravasi Bhartiya Samman 2012
- Pravasi Bhartiya Samman 2012 was conferred to 14 eminent personalities and Indo-Canada Chamber of Commerce, for their excellent work in various fields overseas. Prime Minister of Trinidad and Tobago, Ms Kamla Prasad Bissessar, the chief guest of this year’s Pravasi Bharatiya Divas, also received the Pravasi Bharatiya Samman for public service.
- Pravasi Bharatiya Samman is the highest award conferred by Government of India on Non-resident Indians and Persons of Indian Origin (PIOs) and institutions run by them for their contribution in serving the Indian diaspora and enhancing India’s image in different parts of the world.
- The eminent personalities who received Pravasi Bharatiya Award 2012 are:
- Ms Kamla Prasad Bissessar →Prime Minister of Trinidad and Tobago
- P.V Radhakrishna Pillai from Bahrain
- Sachchidanand Sahai from Cambodia,
- Deepak Naraindas Shivdasani from Cote D’Ivoire
- Victor Shahed Smetacek from Germany
- Prakash Lohia, chairman of Indorama Corporation,
- Jose Parayanken from Mozambique,
- Kiran Navinchandra Asher from Oman,
- Hassan Abdulkarim Chougule from Qatar,
- S.R. Nathan from Singapore,
- Khorshed Noshir Ginwala Rustomjee from South Africa,
- Rajesh Kumar Saraiya from Ukraine,
- Surendra Kumar Kaushik from US
- Kalpalatha Kummamuri Guntupalli from US.
Indo-Canada Chamber of Commerce and Industry was also honoured for its contribution in bettering business and economic relations between the two countries.
- With the PBD Awards 2012, the number of NRI and PIOs awarded stands at 133, apart from 3 institutions.
Topics: Awards • Indian culture • Indian diaspora • Indian people • Kamla • Non-resident Indian and person of Indian origin • Pravasi Bharatiya Divas • Pravasi Bharatiya Samman • Sachchidanand Sahai • Samman