RBI governor Raghuram Rajan wins Governor of the Year award
A British magazine has named RBI Governor and well-known economist Raghuram Rajan as the Governor of the Year in the Central Banking Awards for 2015.
It was announced by British magazine Central Banking.
Governor Raghuram Rajan was chosen for this award by magazine for his disciplined and focused approach in leading the Reserve Bank of India(RBI) during his first year as Governor.
It also mentioned that, RBI Governor deserved the award for his deep understanding of the root causes of India’s economic problems.
About Raghuram Rajan
- He is 23 Governor of RBI and had taken charge in September 2013.
- Earlier, he was chief economic adviser (CEA) to India’s Ministry of Finance in 2013.
- He was chief economist at the International Monetary Fund (IMF) from 2003 to 2007.
- He is also a celebrity economist known across the globe for predicting the 2008 global meltdown.
- He has authored many books on economics and is professor of finance at the graduate business school at the University of Chicago.
- Fischer Black Prize– In 2003, he was awarded this award by the American Finance Association for contributions to the theory and practice of finance.
- Deutsche Bank Prize for Financial Economics- In 2013, he was awarded this award for his ground-breaking research work which influenced financial and macro-economic policies around the world.
- Best Central Bank Governor award– In 2014, he was awarded this award by Euromoney magazine.
Topics: Current Affairs 2016