Rajiv Gandhi Khel Ratna Award and Arjuna Awards 2012
Vijay Kumar who won silver medal in shooting event and Yogeshwar Dutt who clinched Bronze in wrestling at London Olympics will be conferred with country’s highest sporting honour Rajiv Gandhi Khel Ratna Award for the year 2012.
Can Rajiv Gandhi Khel Ratna award be conferred on more than one person in a year ?
- Usually the Rajiv Gandhi Khel Ratna award is conferred on only one sportsperson in one calendar year but the rule can be relaxed in special circumstances such as an Olympic medal.
Arjuna Awards, the second highest sports award in the country will be bestowed on 25 sportspersons.
Sportspersons for Arjuna Awards:
- Deepika Kumari (Archery)
- Laishram Bombayla Devi (Archery)
- Sudha Singh (Athletics)
- Kavita Ramdas Raut (Athletics)
- Ashwani Ponnappa (Badminton)
- Parupalli Kashyap (Badminton)
- Aditya S Mehta (Billiards and Snooker)
- Vikas Krishan (Boxing)
- Yuvraj Singh (Cricket)
- Sardar Singh (Hockey)
- Yashpal Solanki (Judo),
- Anup Kumar (Kabaddi)
- Samir Suhag (Polo)
- Annu Raj Singh (Shooting)
- Omkar Singh (Shooting)
- Joydeep Karmakar (Shooting)
- Deepika Pallikal (Squash)
- Sandeep Sejwal (Swimming)
- Ng. Sonia Chanu (Weightlifting)
- Narsingh Yadav (Wrestling)
- Rajinder Kumar (Wrestling)
- Geeta Phogat (Wrestling)
- M. Bimoljit Singh (Wushu)
- Deepa Mallick (Athletics – Paralympics)
- Ramkaran Singh (Athletics – Paralympics)
Topics: Arjuna Award • Commonwealth Games • Deepika Kumari • In Indian sports • Ministry of Youth Affairs and Sports • Rajiv Gandhi Khel Ratna • Sardara Singh • Sport in India • Vijay Kumar • Yogeshwar Dutt