Railways Ministry signs MoU with CII for facilitation of green initiatives
Union Ministry of Railways signed Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) with Confederation of Indian Industries (CII) for facilitation of green initiatives in Indian Railways. The MoU would carry forward some major Green initiatives undertaken by Indian Railways as part of India’s contribution towards mitigation of global warming and combating climate change.
Railways have been making concerted efforts to ensure cleanliness and hygiene in trains and on station premises.
Objectives of MoU-
- Greening of Railway properties
- Energy efficiency in manufacturing facilities and railway workshops
- Demonstrative pilots of ‘net-zero energy buildings/railway stations’
- Development of Green procurement policy, waste management policy, solid waste disposal, carbon neutrality, phytoremediation
- Capacity and skill development by continuous sharing of best practices on energy and environment through training programmes
3 Coffee Table Publications: One each on Energy Efficiency, GreenCo Rating and Green Buildings (including railway stations) were also released for wide circulation as part of efforts taken by Indian Railways team as envisaged in MoU.
In 2016 Indian Railways & CII signed a MoU on Green Rating & Energy Efficiency Studies of IR’s Production Units & major workshops. After assessment in last 3 years 50 Railway units including workshops and production units, 12 Railway stations and 16 more buildings and other facilities have achieved GreenCo certification.
GreenCo rating system: It is developed by CII. It evaluates the green initiative and rate of performance of industrial units who are pursuing environmentally sustainable practice and also certifies green building, green campus and green schools etc.
Category: Environment Current Affairs
|View All E-Books: Recent Release|