R N Choubey: New head of DGH
Government appoints Rajiv Nayan Choubey, a senior bureaucrat,1981batch IAS officer of Tamil Nadu cadre, as Director General, Directorate General of Hydrocarbons (DGH).
- He will be the first bureaucrat to head the highly technical arm of the Oil Ministry, which has been blemished in controversies for the past few years.
- Earlier, Mr.Choubey has served as Development Commissioner (Handlooms) in the Ministry of Textiles.
Why DGH was in news recently?
- DGH image was blotted when CBI filed a case against former temporary head of DGH Mr.V K Sibal for allegedly doing favors to private firms like Reliance Industries. DGH also gained notoriety under Mr. S.K. Shrivastav (former head) for delaying approvals.
Please READ the Related News: https://www.gktoday.in/gk/reliance-industries-limited/
Facts about DGH:
Established in: 1993
Controlling Body: Ministry of Petroleum & Natural Gas, Government of India
- Promote sound management of the oil and natural gas resources having a balanced regard for environment, safety, technological and economic aspects of the petroleum activity
- Implement New Exploration Licensing Policy (NELP),
- Manage Production Sharing Contracts for discovered fields and exploration blocks
- Promote investment in E&P (Exploration and Production) sector
- Monitor E&P activities including review of reservoir performance of producing fields.
- Launch new unexplored areas for future exploration
- Develop non- conventional hydrocarbon energy sources like Coal Bed Methane (CBM) as also ultramodern hydrocarbon energy resources like Gas Hydrates and Oil Shale
Month: Current Affairs - June, 2012
Topics: Directorate General of Hydrocarbons • Economy of India • Energy • Energy in India • Hydrocarbons • Ministry of Petroleum • Ministry of Petroleum and Natural Gas • New Exploration Licensing Policy • Oil exploration • Organic compounds • Petrowatch