Quick Current Affairs
Published: February 13, 2009
1. The Government has decided to infuse a 3800 crore fund to UCO Bank , Central Bank of India and Vijaya Bank to shore up their capital adequacy.
3. Irrfan Khan an actor with performance in ‘slumdog millionaire ‘ has been honored by ‘British House of Commons’
4. World Bank and the government of India signed deal worth $521 million for the National Vector Borne Disease Control and Polio Eradication Support Project. The credit is designed to help India boost effective prevention, diagnosis and treatment services for malaria and kala azar and increase polio vaccinations.
5. Nasscom has set up panel to avoid Satyam-like case. N R Narayana Murthy, Chairman and Chief Mentor of Infosys Technologies, and will function as a permanent sub-committee under the aegis of the Nasscom Executive Council.
6. ArcelorMittal, the world’s largest steel maker, reported its first quarterly loss of 2.63 billion dollars on as it wrote down the value of assets because of weaker demand.
7. Two large satellites — a functioning U.S. device and a nonoperating Russian instrument — collided in Earth orbit about 800 kilometers over Siberia on February 10, creating a swarm of some 600 chunks of debris.
8. Three more towns in Madhya Pradesh, Maihar, Chitrakut and Salkanpur have been declared ‘holy towns’ – a status that prohibits the sale of liquor, meat and eggs there, official sources said Wednesday.Since the Bharatiya Janata Party came to power in 2003, Ujjain, Omkareshwar, Multai, Maheshwar and Panna have been declared as holy towns.
9. Punjab National Bank (PNB), India’s second largest public sector bank has announced that it has completed 100% core banking implementation at all its 4604 branches and extension counters through the Finacle Universal Banking Solution from Infosys, setting a significant milestone for themselves and a new benchmark for the Indian banking industry.
10. A commemorative stamp was released on 11 Feb 2009 to celebrate 125 Years of PLI (Postal Life Insurance ) Scheme
11. The Corps of Signals, more popularty known as the information Warriors of the Indian army, celebrate their 98th raising Day on Feb 15, 2009
12. As per World Bank’s latest report India Economy is fifth largest in the world.
Category: Government Schemes Current Affairs