Pu Zoramthanga has been appointed as new Chief Minister of Mizoram
Mr. Zoramthanga has been sworn in as the Mizoram’s new chief minister of Mizoram. Zoramthanga belongs to the Mizo National Front (MNF). He will be heading a 12-member council. Governor of Mizoram K Rajasekharan administered the oath of office and secrecy during a ceremony at Raj Bhavan in Aizawl, which was taken by Zoramthanga in the Mizo language.
- This is Zoramthanga’s third stint as the chief CM of Mizoram. Previously, he has led the MNF government in Mizoram in 1998 and 2003.
- The five cabinet ministers of the new Mizoram government are – Tawnluia, R Lalthangliana, Lalchamliana, Lalzirliana and Lalrinsanga. Mr Tawnluia will also be the deputy chief minister of Mizoram.
- The six ministers of state in the new Mizoram government are — K Lalrinliana, Lalchhandama Ralte, Lalruatkima, Dr K Beichhua, TJ Lalnuntluanga and Robert Romawia Ralte.
- The Mizo National Front, also known as MNF, is a regional political party in the state of Mizoram.
- MNF originated from the Mizo National Famine Front formed by Pu Laldenga. The Mizo National Famine Front was formed to protest against the inaction of the Indian government towards the famine of 1959 in the Mizo areas of Assam.
- After years of violence and underground activities, it signed the Mizoram Accord in 1986 with the Government of India, giving up secession and violence.
Recent Elections in the state of Mizoram:
- The elections to the Legislative Assembly of Mizoram were held on 28th November 2018.
- There are total 40 constituencies in Mizoram.
- Mizo National Front (MNF) won 26 seats out of 40 seats in the 2018 elections.
- Indian National Congress won 5 seats and BJP won 1 seat
Category: Awards, Persons & Places in News
|View All E-Books: Recent Release|