The Ministry of Human Resource Development (MHRD) has decided to launch the world?s biggest project for teacher training and development. The project, aptly named NISHTHA will start on August 22.
What is project NISHTHA?
- NISHTHA stands for National Initiative on School Teachers Head Holistic Advancement.
- The NISHTHA project aims to train over 42 lakh teachers in the country.
- To achieve this momentous number, the MHRD has ensured the mapping of around 19,000 teacher-training institutes which are now live on the public-source Google Earth.
- Keen followers of the project can now go online to not only access the geographical location of the institutes in the country but also check their performance metrics and share feedback.
- By numbers alone, India has more teachers than the entire population of Finland and there is a stringent need to ensure the quality standards in our teachers to ensure the best learning outcomes in the students.?
The HRD Minister shared his thoughts on the need for leadership in education while attending the silver jubilee celebrations being held for the National Council of Teacher Education (NCTE).
He stated that while historically, India has been known for its leadership in education and teacher preparation, it is time to leverage our roots.