Pradhan Mantri Awaas Yojana – Gramin extended till March 2024
On December 8, 2021, Union Cabinet approved the extension of flagship housing-for-all scheme named “Pradhan Mantri Awas Yojana-Gramin (PMAY-G)” till March 2024.
- Financial assistance will be provided to construct 155.75 lakh houses remaining as on March, 31, 2021.
- Extension of the scheme till March, 2024 ensures that remaining 155.75 lakh households within the target of 2.95 crore houses under PMAY-G will be provided assistance to construct pucca houses with basic amenities in a bid to achieve the objective of ‘Housing for All’ in rural areas.
Why was scheme extended?
As of November 29, 2021, total of 1.65 crore PMAY-G houses have been constructed out of 2.95 crore. It is expected that 2.02 crore houses, which is equal to SECC 2011 database based Permanent Wait List, will be completed by August 15, 2022. Thus, to achieve the target of 2.95 crore houses, scheme was extended.
Pradhan Mantri Gramin Awas Yojana (PMRHS)
This scheme was previously called as Indira Awas Yojana. It is a social welfare programme of Indian Government to provide housing for rural poor across India. Rajiv Gandhi had launched the “Indira Awas Yojana” in 1985, as one of the major flagship programs of Ministry of Rural Development for constructing houses for BPL population in villages.
Features of the scheme
- Under the scheme, financial assistance worth Rs 120,000 is provided in plain areas and Rs 130,000 in difficult areas for construction of houses.
- These houses have facilities like toilet, drinking water, LPG connection, and electricity connection. Thus, the scheme has been converged with other schemes namely, Swachh Bharat Abhiyan, Ujjwala Yojana, Saubhagya Yojana electricity connection, etc.
- These houses are allotted in the name of woman or jointly between husband and wife.
Funding for the scheme
The funds for the scheme are allocated to the states on the basis of 75% weightage of rural housing shortage while 25% weightage of poverty ratio.
AWAAS soft software was launched in July 2010 for assisting in improved administration of the scheme.
Category: Government Schemes Current Affairs
|View All E-Books: Recent Release|