PMGKP Insurance Scheme Extended for another Six Months
Six months extension have been made to the Pradhan Mantri Garib Kalyan Package Insurance Scheme. The Scheme was announced for Health Workers Fighting COVID-19 on 30th March 2020 under the flagship scheme Pradhan Mantri Garib Kalyan Yojana, 2016.
Pradhan Mantri Garib Kalyan Package (PMGKP) Insurance Scheme
- The scheme provides health insurance to the staff working in Government Hospitals and Health Care Centres.
- The scheme covers ward boys, safai karamcharis, ASHA workers, nurses, technicians, paramedics, doctors and specialists and other health workers.
- Any health professional who meet with some accident while treating Covid-19 patients then he/she would be given a compensatory amount of Rs 50 lakh under the scheme.
- Approximately 22 lakh health workers would be provided insurance cover.
- The scheme also includes accidental loss of life on account of contracting COVID-19.
Pradhan Mantri Garib Kalyan Yojana, 2016 (PMGKY)
PMGKY scheme was launched by the Narendra Modi led Government in December 2016. The scheme was launched on the lines of the Income declaration scheme, 2016. PMGKY is a part of the Taxation Laws (Second Amendment) Act, 2016. It provides an opportunity to declare unaccounted wealth and black money. It also avoids prosecution after paying a fine of 50% on the undisclosed income. The scheme can only be used to declare income in the form of cash or bank deposits in Indian bank accounts. It does not include money in the form of Stocks, jewellery, immovable property and deposits in overseas accounts.
During the COVID-19 pandemic in India, a ₹1.70 Lakh Crore relief package was announced by the Finance Minister under Pradhan Mantri Garib Kalyan Yojana for the poor. It provides,
- ₹500 to 19.86 crore women Jan Dhan account holders.
- LPG cylinders to 8 crore poor families free of cost for 3 months.
- ₹1,000 to senior citizens for 3 months.
- Rs 50,000-Crore has been allotted for returnee migrant workers under the Garib Kalyan Rojgar Abhiyan.