PM Modi unveils “Statue of Peace”
On November 16, 2020, Prime Minister Narendra Modi unveiled “Statue of Peace”. The statue is being unveiled to mark the 151st birth anniversary of Jain Acharya Shree Vijay Vallabh Surishwer Ji Maharaj.
About the Statue of Peace
The statue is made of Ashtadhatu. Ashtadhatu is an octo-alloy. The alloy is mainly used in casting metallic idols in Hindu and Jain temples. The alloy is made of metals such as gold, copper, silver, tin, zinc, iron, tin and antimony (or mercury). The metals are mixed in equal proportions to create the idol. The other famous alloy is Panchadhatu (or Panchaloha). This alloy is made of gold, copper, silver, iron and zinc.
The statue is 151 inches tall. It is being installed in Pali city of Rajasthan.
Shri Vijay Vallabh Surishwer Ji Maharaj
He was a Jain monk born on October 26, 1870. He was a disciple of Vijayanand Suri. He was the founder of Shri Parshwanath Jain Vidyalaya in Pali district of Rajasthan. Also, he established the Mahavir Jain Vidyalaya in Mumbai, Pune and Vadodara. He supported non-violent independent movements of Mahatma Gandhiji.
The Jains are one of the six centrally notified minorities in India. The other five are Buddhists, Muslims, Christians, Sikhs and Parsis.
Schemes for the minorities
The Ministry of Minorities is currently implementing the following schemes for the minorities in India
- Pre-Matric Scholarship Scheme, Merit-cum-means based scheme: For educational empowerment of students.
- Maulana Azad National Fellowship Scheme.
- NayaSavera: The scheme provides free coaching classes to economically weaker sections of the minority population.
- Padho Pardesh: Provides interest of subsidy to students of economically weaker sections.
- Nai Roshni: Development of leadership qualities in women belonging to minority communities.
- Nai Udaan: Support for students clearing UPSC, SSC, SPSC prelims.
- SeekhoAurKamao: Skill Development programme for youth.
- Pradhan Mantri Jan Vikas Karyakram.
- Jiyo Parsi: To contain declining parsi population in India.
- Nai Manzil.