PM Modi to attend BRICS
PM Modi is to attend the 11th BRICS summit that is to be conducted in Brazil on November 13, 2019. He will be accompanied by a large business delegates during the visit. The theme of 2019 BRICS summit is Economic Growth for an Innovative Future
- PM is to attend restricted sessions during the visit. The sessions will focus on opportunities and challenges for the national sovereignty in the world.
- BRICS Plenary session is to be held where the leaders are to discuss BRICS cooperation for economic development of member nations
- Meeting of BRICS Business Council is also planned during the summit. During the session the MoUs between the BRICS countries and Investment Promotion agencies are to be signed
- A joint Declaration will be issued at the end of the summit.
BRICS comprises of 5 major economies namely Brazil, Russia, India, China and South Africa. The member countries of BRICS grouping hold 42% of world’s population, 17% of world trade and 23% of world GDP. In 2018, BRICS commemorated its 10th anniversary in Johannesburg. The two main pillars of BRICS are
- It helps to consult on issues of mutual interests through meetings
- Also it helps to promote several sectors like agriculture, education, health, finance, trade, technology and communication.
Category: International Current Affairs