PM Modi to attend 16th East Asia Summit virtually
Prime Minister Narendra Modi is set to virtually attend the 16th East Asia Summit on October 27, 2021.
- He will also be attending the 18th ASEAN-India Summit on October 28, 2021.
- It will be the ninth ASEAN-India Summit that PM will attend.
- Sultan of Brunei had invited him to attend this summit.
- Summit will “review the status of ASEAN-India Strategic Partnership”.
- In the summit, leaders will also review the progress made in key areas like Trade & Commerce, Connectivity, Education, Culture and COVID-19 & Health.
East Asia Summit
- East Asia Summit is a regional forum, inaugurated in 2005.
- The summit is held annually by the leaders of 16 nations which are part of East Asian, South Asian, Southeast Asian, and Oceanian regions, on the basis of ASEAN Plus Six mechanism.
- The summit includes ten ASEAN members namely, Brunei, Indonesia, Cambodia, Malaysia, Laos, Vietnam, Thailand, Myanmar, the Philippines, Singapore.
- Other members of the summit are India, Japan, China, Australia, the Republic of Korea, the United States, New Zealand, and Russia.
- India is the founding member of East Asia Summit and has committed to enhance the strength and increase the efficiency of this forum.
Agenda of the meeting
- During the event, leaders are expected to make several declarations like on Economic recovery through tourism & green recovery and Mental Health.
- They will also exchange their views on issues like security, terrorism, and COVID-19.
Significance of the forum
The East Asia Summit is an important platform to further the practical cooperation in Indo-Pacific by building the convergence between Indo-Pacific Ocean’s Initiative (IPOI) and ASEAN Outlook on Indo-Pacific (AOIP).
Category: Summits and Conferences
|View All E-Books: Recent Release|