PM Modi – President Xi Informal Summit
On October 11, 2019, the Chinese President Xi Jing Ping arrived at the Chennai airport along with 90 delegations for a 2 day long informal summit. His welcome ceremony was grand and was organized by the Tamil Nadu Government in a traditional way. Ahead of the summit 2,000 children wore Xi Jing Ping masks on their faces and created formations of “Welcome” in Mandarin. The leaders held a 2 and half hour talks over lunch.
About the Summit
The ancient town Mahabalipuram where the summit happened had a colorful change over. The town was decorated in a traditional way with fruits, vegetableas and banana trees.
There are archaeological evidences that proved that the ancient sea port had trade links with the Chinese even before 1000s of years ago. PM Modi guided President Xi around the iconic monuments in the town from the Pallava era.
Trade and Terrorism were the major discussion between the leaders
Highlights of the summit
- The leaders discussed about India’s concerns over RCEP
- the leaders also discussed about global trading system, regional and global issues
- The unilateral liberalization of e – TV for Chinese nations will enhance people – to – people exchanges between the countries. This will also encourage Chinese tourists to choose India as a tourist destination
- The leaders have agreed to promote and exchange mutual learning among the countries
- The Chinese President urges to take the 70th anniversary of their diplomatic relations next year to conduct broader and deeper cultural people to people exchanges
- The trade deficit between India and China was in China’s favor around 57 billion USD last year. China agreed to tackle the deficit.
- The Kashmir issue was not discussed during the talk between the leaders.
- A new Trade and Defence mechanism was also a part of the discussions.
- India will relax e – Visa provisions for Chinese citizens.
Category: International Current Affairs