PM Modi Flags-off First Ever Diesel-to-Electric Converted Locomotive
Prime Minister Narendra Modi flagged off the first ever diesel-to-electric converted locomotive at the Diesel Locomotive Works (DLW) at Varanasi, Uttar Pradesh.
Diesel-to-Electric Converted Locomotive
- The 10,000HP freight locomotive was converted from two units of old diesel locomotives of 2600 HP each with indigenous technology.
- The conversion was achieved in record time with the help of engineers from Research Designs and Standards Organisation (RDSO), Chittaranjan Locomotive Works(CLW), and BHEL.
- The conversion has proved to be cost effective as it requires half of the rehabilitation cost of old locos and it is also environment-friendly with enhanced traction power to double the average speed of goods train.
DLW has developed a new prototype electric locomotive converted from diesel locomotive as part of the Indian Railways Mission 100 per cent electrification and de-carbonization agenda.
Indian Railways Mission 100 per cent Electrification
The Indian Railways has undertaken Mission 100 per cent electrification to electrify the last leg of about 13,675 Km railway tracks at a cost of Rs 12,134 crore. The 100 per cent electrification will electrify all broad gauge lines of Indian Railways and it will make Indian Railways the largest electrified rail network in the world.
Benefits of 100 per cent Electrification
- Reduced dependence on imported diesel.
- Enhanced line capacity and higher haulage capacity.
- Seamless train operations ensuring better speed.
- Improved signalling system for enhanced safety.
- Direct employment generation during construction for nearly 20.4 crore man days.
100 per cent electrification also provides environmental benefits like reduced environment cost per tonne-kilometre, 24% reduction in carbon dioxide emissions by 2027-2028 and a reduction of nearly 2.83 billion litres of fossil fuel consumption per annum.
Category: Science & Technology Current Affairs
Topics: Bhel • Chittaranjan Locomotive Works • Diesel Locomotive Works • diesel-to-electric converted locomotive • Indian Railways • Mission 100 per cent Electrification • Research Designs and Standards Organisation • Uttar Pradesh • Varanasi