PM Lays Foundation Stone for Sela Tunnel in Arunachal Pradesh
PM Narendra Modi laid Foundation Stone for the Sela Tunnel Project in Arunachal Pradesh across Sela Pass.
Sela Pass is a high-altitude mountain pass located on the border between the Tawang and West Kameng Districts of Arunachal Pradesh. The pass connects Tawang for rest of India.
Key Facts about the Sela Tunnel Project
The important facts about the Sela Tunnel project are:
- The Sela pass tunnel will be constructed by the Border Roads Organisation (BRO).
- The announcement of the project was done in the Union Budget 2018 by then Finance Minister Arun Jaitley.
- Project costs Rs. 687 crore and is expected to be completed in the three years.
- The project involves the construction of a road for a total distance of 12.04 km which consist of two tunnels of 1790 and 475 meters.
- The project once completed will reduce the travelling time from Tezpur to Tawang by more than one hour.
- The project will also aid travellers in by-passing the dangerous snow-covered Sela top at a height of 13,700 feet.
An asset to the Defence Forces
The Sela tunnel project will provide all-weather connectivity and reduce travelling time. This aids the swift and fast movement of army troops in Tawang which is a strategically-located district located near the border of China. The tunnel will reduce the travel time between the Indian Army’s 4 Corps headquarters at Tezpur in Assam and Tawang.
The tunnel project will also boost the tourism industry and economic activities in the region as well as north-eastern states.
Three-branded Rosefinch: New bird species in India
A team of scientists from the Bombay Natural History Society recorded a new species of bird. It has ...
New Alpine Plant Species Discovered in Arunachal Pradesh
A group of scientists of three institutes have discovered a new species of alpine plant in the Tawan...
Arunachal Pradesh and Mizoram celebrate statehood day
The north-eastern states of Arunachal Pradesh and Mizoram observed their statehood day. Both of the ...
What is Vanadium?
The Geological Survey of India has found promising concentrations of Vanadium in the Tamang and Depo...
KVIC Monpa Handmade Paper Unit
The Khadi and Village Industries Commission (KVIC) recently established the Monpa handmade paper mak...
Category: Defence Current Affairs
|View All E-Books: Recent Release|