PM-KISAN: Government initiated the process to identify illegal beneficiaries
Published: August 26, 2020
The government’s concern over illegal beneficiaries of the PM-KISAN scheme is going to cease very soon as it has decided to identify farmers who are illegally receiving benefits.
What is the PM-KISAN scheme?
Pradhan Mantri Kisan Samman Nidhi is a government initiative to provide minimum income support of Rs. 6,000 per year. It was announced during the presentation of the 2019 Interim Union Budget of India.
How does the scheme provide benefits to the farmer?
- Its objective was to increase the income of the Small and Marginal Farmers of India.
- It aimed at providing financial assistance to the Small and Marginal Farmers in procuring various substances to ensure proper crop health and appropriate yields.
- It provides protection to the farmers from the corrupt practices of moneylenders in the matter of meeting agricultural expenses.
- It strengthened the position of the farmer in agricultural activities.
The distribution of the yearly amount of 6,000 to each eligible farmer is provided in three installments to their bank accounts.
Government’s approach towards the eradication of illegal beneficiaries
- It has planned to formulate a mechanism in association with some government organizations
- Identification of the illegal beneficiaries by consulting with concerned state governments.
- Tying up with the income tax department to ransack the taxpayers who have received the benefits.
- Concerns have been expressed to the Public Financial Management System on the issue of availing benefits by some central government employees. Exclusion of several categories like retired and serving government employees other than the Group D staff, doctors, lawyers, chartered accountants, public representatives has already been done.
What are the similar schemes at the state level?
Similar state government schemes like PM-KISHAN are Rythu Bandhu in Telangana, Annadata Sukhibhava in Andhra Pradesh, KALIA scheme in Odisha, Krishak Bandhu Scheme in West Bengal.