Planning Commission approves privatization of water distribution in Delhi
- The Planning Commission approved the Delhi Government’s move to engage with private entities in supply of water in several areas of the city similar to power sector.
- The private entities would rationalize the water distribution network and ensure consumers 24×7 supply of water.
- The private sector would be engaged in water distribution, management and maintenance of Delhi Jal Board’s infrastructure.
- Planning Commission suggested mapping of all water bodies in Delhi to ensure their proper preservation and maintenance.
- Commission suggested Delhi govt to cut supply of non-revenue water and to encourage rain water harvesting and ensure regulated exploration of ground water resources.
Month: Current Affairs - August, 2012
Topics: Appropriate technology • Aquifers • Delhi • Hydrology • Rainwater harvesting • States and union territories of India • Sustainable gardening • Water • Water conservation