PF rate to remain unchanged
After a lengthy discussion by the various Union Ministries involved in the process, the Union Government has decided to notify an 8.65% interest rate for the PF deposits in India. This offered rate of interest is the same as the one offered last year.
What has happened?
- The Labour Ministry and the Finance Ministry had a few issues related to the EPFO rates in India.?
- While the finance ministry was in favor of reducing the rates to ensure fiscal compliance, the labor ministry was too keen on the deduction.
- However, after the labor ministry was able to prove before the finance ministry that the EPFO organization will be left a sufficient surplus of funds even after paying 8.65% interest to the EPFO subscribers.?
- This has prompted the finance ministry to drop its objection and continue with the current PF rate.
- These issues were discussed in a closed-door meeting of the Central Board of Trustees (CBT).
What about the CBT?
- The CBT is the apex body which is responsible for fixing the PF rate being offered to the subscribers of the PF plan of EPFO.
- It is chaired by the labor minister and various central and state government officials, trade unions and industry bodies are also part of the CBT.
- The EPF interest rate determined by the CBT is notified by the labor ministry after obtaining the consensus of the finance ministry.
Somanathan: New Finance secretary
The Expenditure Secretary T V Somanathan was recently designated as the Finance Secretary by the App...
Russia’s central bank increases interest rates
The Central Bank of Russia has increased the interest rate from 4.5% to 5%. ContentsWhy did the Bank...
Labour Ministry & BECIL sign agreement to conduct Survey
The “Labour Bureau”, which is an attached office under the Ministry of Labour & Employment h...
Finance Ministry releases grants to Rural Local Bodies
The Department of Expenditure of Ministry of Finance has recently released Rs 12,351 crore to 18 Sta...
Atma Nirbhar Bharat Rozgar Yojana launched to boost employment
On November 12, 2020, Finance Minister Smt Nirmala Sitharaman announced the fourth economic stimulus...
|View All E-Books: Recent Release|