Offshore patrol vessel IGCS Shourya launched
Goa Shipyard Limited (GSL) has launched Indian Coast Guard Ship (ICGS) Shaurya at Panaji.
It was launched by the Governor of Goa, Mridula Sinha, in the presence of GSl and ICG officials.
- ICGS Shaurya is fifth of a series of six Offshore Patrol Vessels (OPVs) designed in-house and built by GSL.
- The vessel is 105-metre long and is capable of cruising at a speed of 23 knots. It has a range of 6000 nautical miles.
- It is powered by twin diesel engines and carries four boats for boarding party operations. It is fitted with state-of-the-art navigation and communication equipment.
- The ship’s weaponry package has one 30 mm gun and two 12.7 mm guns associated with fire control system.
- ICGS Shaurya will be commissioned into service in 2017. It will be deployed for search and rescue operations, pollution control and external firefighting.
- It will also be deployed for monitoring sea lanes of communication and ocean surveillance.
India-Japan MoU in ICT sector
India and Japan recently signed Memorandum of Understanding to enhance cooperation in the field of I...
US-Taiwan 1.8 billion USD arms sale: Key Facts
The United States approved the potential sale of three weapon systems to Taiwan, as well as missiles...
Ministry of Defence sets new rules for land transfer to reduce expenditure
The Ministry of Defence recently approved the land transfer rules. Under the new rules the armed for...
Cabinet Committee approves Indian Army Communication Network for Rs 7,796 crores
On October 1, 2020, the Cabinet Committee in Security approved ASCON (Army Static Switched Communica...
Indian Coast Guard Fast Patrol Vessel ICGS Karnaklata Barua commissioned
On September 30, 2020, the Indian Coast guard Vessel Karnaklata Barua was commissioned at Kolkata. T...
Month: Current Affairs - May, 2016
|View All E-Books: Recent Release|